ABOUT THE 2017 BIZ PITCH
Are you an entrepreneur looking to open your own business? Are you a small business owner looking to expand or relocate? Sunbury is the perfect place for you, and Sunbury’s Revitalization, Inc. (SRI) 3rd Annual Business Pitch Competition could be the opportunity you have been waiting for!
Partnering with Bucknell’s Small Business Development Center, SRI will once again bring this unique opportunity to aspiring entrepreneurs and small business owners in the valley.
The “Biz Pitch” competition will be held on November 4, 2017 at the Albright Center in Sunbury at which time a selection of competitors will pitch business plans to a panel of judges.
Those wishing to compete are asked to submit an application by September 22nd. The applicants who are selected to compete will then be asked to submit a comprehensive business plan and be invited back to present at the November 4th competition. The winner of this competition will receive a prize package valued at more than $10,000 (which will includes rent credit as well as several professional services, including but not limited to: advertising, legal, accounting, IT, branding, and marketing).
The “Opening Pitch” (initial applications) will be due September 22, 2017 and finalists will be informed by September 29th. Submission of finalists’ business plans will be due by October 20th in preparation for the November 4th event.
The 2016 Biz Pitch winner, Eclipse Craft Brewing Company, will be locating on Market Street in Sunbury on Fall 2017. More about this successful company can be found on their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/EclipseCraftBrewing.
Opening Pitch | September 22, 2017 | 1st Inning – Deadline for initial entries
Umpire’s Call | September 29, 2017 | Play Review – Finalists are selected and notified
Second Pitch | October 20, 2017 | 2nd Inning – Final business proposals due
Practice | (Tentatively) October 27, 2017 | Final players will practice their presentations and receive constructive feedback
Final –At Bat | November 4, 2017 | Presentation of business pitches to the “officials” and the winner is selected!!!
Bucknell SMALL BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT CENTER
The Bucknell University Small Business Development Center (SBDC) serves entrepreneurs in Union, Northumberland, Juniata, Montour, Perry, and Snyder counties as a member of the Pennsylvania Small Business Development Centers (PASBDC) network. In the last year, the SBDC helped 40 entrepreneurs start new businesses, and clients assisted by the center increased their sales by over $10 million. The SBDC is part of the only statewide, nationally accredited program that provides high quality one-on-one consulting, training and information resources to empower new and existing businesses. The SBDC program is a public/private partnership with the U.S. Small Business Administration, the Pennsylvania Department of Community and Economic Development through the Partnership for Regional Economic Performance program, and 18 universities and colleges across the Commonwealth.
The SRI Business Pitch Competition is open to individuals and teams, otherwise eligible, who are proposing a business or product idea that needs assistance getting to the next level. This includes, but may not be limited to, brand new business ideas, budding startup businesses, new business expansion ideas or businesses that launched or will launch in the next year. Individuals and teams, otherwise eligible, must be 18 years of age or older at the time of entry.
Terms and Conditions
- Entrant acknowledges and agrees that he/she is not entitled to any monetary, in-kind, or other type of compensation of any kind by virtue of submitting an application to the Biz Pitch or providing any additional documents in support of the application (hereafter, collectively, “Submitted Material”). Without limiting the foregoing, Entrant specifically agrees that he/she does not have and will not have or assert any so-called “idea submission” or similar claim against SRI, and their agents, employees, representatives, volunteers, and participating sponsors, including but not limited to the judges chosen for the Biz Pitch and that the SRI is free to use the materials submitted by the Entrant in any manner it sees fit. Furthermore, Entrant specifically acknowledges and agrees that in the event he/she wins the Grand Prize, Entrant will be required to sign separate agreements relating to the disbursal of any funds, and will not be entitled to receive any funds unless Entrant agrees and abides by the terms of said agreements.
- Entrant hereby grants to the SRI the irrevocable and perpetual license to use the Submitted Materials in furtherance of the Biz Pitch. Entrant acknowledges that the Submitted Materials will be used by the SRI to promote the Biz Pitch and will be distributed to third parties associated with the Biz Pitch. Entrant further acknowledges and agrees that the license granted herein may be used by SRI to promote SRI Biz Pitch and may be used by the SRI to promote future competitions.
- Entrant acknowledges that the Submitted Material is submitted voluntarily and that Entrant has no expectation that the Submitted Material will be held in confidence or trust by the SRI. Entrant acknowledges and agrees that the submission of the Submitted Material and participation in the Biz Pitch does not create any relationship of trust or confidentiality, including but not limited to a fiduciary relationship of any kind.
- Entrant warrants and represents that he/she is the sole owner of the Submitted Material and/or has obtained all necessary permissions (including but not limited to applicable licenses) to grant the SRI the rights and offer the releases described herein. Entrant further warrants and acknowledges that none of the Submitted Materials infringe upon the rights of any third party, including but not limited to rights in what are commonly described as “intellectual property” or “proprietary information.” Entrant agrees to fully defend and indemnify the SRI from any and all liability, actions, claims, demands, losses or damages (including attorney’s fees, costs, and punitive damages) brought by any party against SRI for the use of the Submitted Materials, or which may arise from Entrant’s participation in the Biz Pitch.
- Entrant hereby agrees that he/she solely assumes the risk of damage or loss of the Submitted Materials, and that the SRI has no obligation to read or consider the Submitted Materials before proceeding with the Biz Pitch.
- Entrant hereby releases the SRI to the fullest extent allowed by law from any and all claims, costs, and liabilities of every kind and nature whatsoever, known or unknown that may arise in connection with the Biz Pitch, or the Submitted Materials, or which may arise through the Entrant or on his/her behalf. This Release shall constitute a full, final and complete release, accord and satisfaction of each and every claim released hereunder that Entrant has or may have at any time against the SRI.
- Entrant acknowledges and agrees that any Biz Pitch prize that is awarded to him/her/it is exclusively and specifically for the benefit of the Entrant’s business, and not as an individual. Such awarded prize may include, but it is not limited to: rental credits; professional services (e.g. accounting, legal, financial advisors, etc.); and any and all other prizes that may be included in the Biz Pitch prize package as provided by SRI and participating sponsors. Entrant specifically agrees that SRI and participating sponsors reserve the right to withhold any portion of the Biz Pitch prize package if SRI and/or the participating sponsors determine in their sole discretion that the winning Entrant is not using the prize for Entrant’s business purposes. Further, Entrant specifically acknowledges and agrees that it shall be subject to any terms and conditions imposed by participating sponsors (e.g. professional services may be provided for free or discounted cost, but the winning Entrant may be required to pay any associated costs and fees, such as filing fees with governmental entities) in conjunction with the services to be provided by the participating sponsor.
- Entrant acknowledges and agrees that the rent credit portion of the Biz Pitch prize package is subject to entering into a written lease with a landlord. Entrant acknowledges that any default or breach of the written lease will invalidate the rent credit portion of the prize package.
- If Entrant is currently an organized business or consists of multiple individuals working together to start a new business, all such interested individuals shall execute this Release. Each individual specifically acknowledges and agrees that if Entrant is the winning Entrant of the Biz Pitch Competition, the prize package is awarded solely to the business entity (either existing or to be formed), and no prize package benefits shall be granted to any individual member or members. In the case of multiple individuals applying as one Entrant into the Biz Pitch Competition, each individual who executes this Release specifically acknowledges and agrees that the individual unconditionally releases SRI, its agents, employees, representatives, volunteers and participating sponsors from any disputes, claims, or suits between or among the Entrant’s individual members.
- Should any provision of this Release be deemed unenforceable the remaining provisions shall still be considered to be in full force and effect.
- Entrant agrees that all issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of the terms of this Release and the rights and obligations of the Entrant and the SRI shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Entrant further agrees that the sole venue for any action arising under this Release or from the submission of the Submitted Materials or participation in the Biz Pitch shall be the Courts of Northumberland County, Pennsylvania.